Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I Love Small Towns


I love small towns, especially after living in places like Portland and Seattle, where the traffic alone increases my stress level--never mind random crime, people who ram my grocery cart, and fine restaurants with decibel levels that hurt.

Maybe I’m just too old to enjoy those particular challenges anymore. It’s true I would rather spend a morning listening to the birds and figuring out how to build a business in the back of beyond than try to get across any urban town.

There are benefits and disadvantages in any place you choose to live. It’s really about deciding which things you can’t live without, and what you’re willing to pay for them. I love huge skies, wandering wildlife and quiet where I can hear the birds.


I still enjoy visiting The City with its grand adventure of noise, variety and stimulation, but when it’s over I am quite ready to be home where I am not “on alert” watching for threatening activity. Where I can relax and work on the basics of living–-like how to keep a roof over my head and pay the utility bill in a town without jobs. Where one day I, too, may know every person in the local phone book.

I would like this blog to be a celebration of great stories, interesting people and a more elemental way of living found in smaller places. I will also offer some ideas and resources for business survival in the wilds of empty lands.


Please share your success stories, as well as comments and questions about life in a small town.

No comments: